"2 States - the story of my marriage" I had to write about this


"2 States" was a book I read by chance. I don't mean to offend Chetan Bhagat by saying I am not a big fan of reading his books; never was, even before I read any one of them. Call me prejudicious, or anything you may fancy. I do not have anything against Indian writers, if that is what you are thinking. I have read quite many books by a big-handful Indian writers. Like I have already mentioned, I read "2 States" (the only one of Chetan Bhagat book that I have read) only because there wasn't anything to be read at the time I was done with "Holding the Dream". And my queer reading proclivity has it that I absolutely HAVE to be holding a book at any given time. *Crazy I know* And there it was, all Red and welcoming. I read the prologue and decided it wasn't so bad after all.

And I was right. It was very very entertaining. If it was a movie, I'd say, in a very Indian way, *Paisa Wasool*. "2 States" is a quintessentially Indian book. The way it describes Indian lives. Being a Nepali I have to admit that we are raised watching more of Indian television and Indian movies, so we know more about India than Indians know about us. I could almost imagine the dialogues being said in that typical Indian accent/s (North/South) And I could also understand the Indian words, not the Tamil ones though. It was fun, the movie-like story, how a boy meets girl and they fall in love. What I found interesting was that the falling in love part is not described much. It happens so fast that you are left wondering whatever the hell is going to happen in the rest of the book. Growing up in an Asian community, Indian-Nepalese, especially, you'll know how hard it is to decide on a marriage. The families have to approve on everything.

So, this description is cent per cent accurate.

"Love marriages around the world are simple:

Boy loves girl. Girl loves boy.
They get married.
In India, there are a few more steps:
Boy loves Girl. Girl loves Boy.
Girl's family has to love boy. Boy's family has to love girl.
Girl's Family has to love Boy's Family. Boy's family has to love girl's family.
Girl and Boy still love each other. They get married."





I had been told that Chetan Bhagat books have very filmy dialogues and dramatic endings. They were right. That is not to say that I did not enjoy them. We all need to be reminded time and again, via books or movies or movie-like books, that if you try enough you will get your happy ending. I really loved the way Krish worked towards gaining support from his intended-in-laws, and did get it too. I would've preferred Ananya to be a bit more proactive, but the wedding act, although impractical, was daring and successful. The ending was also very melodramatic, what with the grouchy dad playing Hero, MickyMouse underwear et al. 

The book was spicy in a good way (at least to those like me who are used to it and can take it in a healthy dose occasionally). I read somewhere that Dharma Productions has bought the rights-to-movie for the book. K-Jo is a big name, so I'll be expecting a good movie. I have always loved his works. I could not imagine any Bollywood hero/heroine whilst reading the book. I just hope they cast justly, given their ages. No SRK, please. He could play the ex-army Dad though; a good cameo it will be.

Comments

  1. Your culture is completely different from mine. But very similar thing I noticed during reading the book of Orhan Pamuk: "The Snow". Difference were also in culture, despite the fact, that both people - man and woman - were Turks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess every country is similar is some ways. Marriage between two people often faces a number of obstacles, it could be community, or status, or religion, or just plain ego.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Darling, you don't look Punjabi or Tamil, what part will you do?

      Delete
    2. c'mon its bollywood. for all i know they can adjust a martian in a movie and nobody will complain. :))

      Delete
    3. If you haven't read the book then this is a SPOILER, but I suppose you could be one of Krish's friends and attend his wedding. No harm in that. :))

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hyena: Doglike, but like no dog anyone would want as a pet.

Life Intensely Lived.

Beauty Missed or not.