Water for Elephants >> the Circus life



Okay, here's the deal. I do not write reviews on books. Whatever I read, either goes in my head or my heart, not on paper or on the web for that matter. But something about this book made we want to write anyways. "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen. Rated 4 stars by me.

I started on a slow note. Obviously. I do it with every book that I read. At first I enjoyed it, and then it started to bore me like opposite-of-heaven. The story was going nowhere. The circus was just there doing its stuff. The romance was not blooming at all. I was already thinking this book was going to get a 2 star from me. But then came Rosie the elephant, "the mute heroine". Jacob's attachment with the elephant, the turn of events with "Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth" moving from town to town, the shows and the menagerie animals, the friends that Jacob gains. These all started to gain a grip on me. Above all the first person perspective of Jacob Jankowski in his youth (the circus employment period) and the present one (ninety or ninety three year old man) was really interesting. The narration would come in turn so there was certain suspense to it. The story ends well with the old man being employed again in a circus; he feels home. Needless to say, the hero and heroine unite too.

Lastly there was this author's note. I love the fact that Sara Gruen has used true events in the book. Some of the really catchy parts in the books were inspired by real life events when moving circuses were real in America in 1930s. Now, I can't wait to watch the movie. I trust that Robert Pattinson has given justice to the dear man Jacob Jankowski as the antagonist of the book is. Reese Witherspoon, I like her anyways.

4 Stars - I really liked it !

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hyena: Doglike, but like no dog anyone would want as a pet.

Life Intensely Lived.

Beauty Missed or not.