New Year Resolutions? Not even once.



That was Calvin at his sparkling best. Could we ever be so sure of ourselves? Are we perfect the way we are? Do we think we are perfect the way we are? Are we happy with what we are? My money is on no, most of us do not like the way we are. And hence we set resolutions every new year. If you are a Nepalese, you get this privilege twice a year. AD and BS both on our plates.


This new year,
I will quit drinking/smoking.
I will start working out and get that fab-ab.
I will start studying harder and get better grades.
I will learn a certain musical instrument or some new skill.
I will find a better job that I'll love.
I will go for a vacation of a lifetime.
I will spend more time with my family.
I will find my soul mate.
(May be I will make resolutions that I can fulfill)
....and so forth.

And when we set resolutions, in paper or not, do we fulfill them? Do we try to fulfill them? And more importantly, do we even have the intention to ever fulfill them. Is it just a tradition that we try to maintain (or pretend to maintain, is more like it) year after year? As far as I am concerned, I have never met a single individual who has done so. If you ask about me, I was never the kind of a person to sit down and make a list of resolutions. No, I do not think I am perfect the way I am. Am I just plain lazy then? Yes, that is possible. But primarily I do not believe in waiting for a new year to start to plan things out, plan things that is try and gonna change you. Again, I am not emphasizing on "change".  I am emphasizing on when we decide that we ought to create a to-do list on ourselves. New Year might sound like a good time. Well, if you can succeed on really working on making the resolutions work, then great! But if not, what's the use? 

I have so many resolutions myself. Inside of my head. I do not like to show them to others, nor write them anywhere. The reason? Some are unrealistic, some will take time, some are plain impossible and I know it but still hoping for it, some are embarrassing, some I might not be able to fulfill, some I know I will not fulfill and yet want to keep in the list anyway. Making resolutions and actually fulfilling them takes some real courage. It's like making a promise to yourself. You might make false promises to others but never to your own self. So until I know I will make the resolutions into reality, I will not make any.  What about you? I hope you have the courage to keep your promise to you or at least the decency to not lie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hyena: Doglike, but like no dog anyone would want as a pet.

Life Intensely Lived.

Beauty Missed or not.