For the love of reading


Last night as I lay down poring over the pages under the bright orangey lamp light, I was being nibbled by a feeling that the day had gone to waste. The day had been glorious. The sun was out and the sky had shone like new furniture. I was up early, too early for a day without work and classes. I had begun the day with the book. Like, I was up and had started reading without even getting up. After two hours of reading, I had been up and working out. For someone who is a huge fan of sunny days, whenever the morning graces with a bright sunlight, it is an open invitation for going out. And yet for someone who is also a big fan of reading, staying home and having a good read of a good book is equally tempting.

I did go out for breakfast, and although I spent some time looking for places I could go, none fit the shoes of convenience. So I ended up laying down on my bed with sun pouring through the window, bright and warm, and reading. And I didn't just read. I lived three lives in three different eras of time. I breathed the sea air of the small village in Cornwall, England. I fell in love, I bore a child, I got lost on a ship to Australia, I turned into a sorrowful bird trapped inside a golden cage. Even if I couldn't go anywhere, I felt exhausted by the end of the day such was the intensity of my involvement in the lives of the book's characters. 

Ever since I came to Australia and discovered bushwalking, I had never let slipped a chance to go out for a walk on a sunny day but yesterday became an exception, but it was a nice exception. It had been quite a while since I lost myself completely to a book and it was a beautiful reminder of how books contain the magical power to just make you forget everything and transport you to places you have never been to and probably never will, to make you live the lives of so many different people, to experience feelings you don't know of and make you feel old and young, and reckless and wise at the same time. Although I have taken to walking more than reading recently, I couldn't help but remember the good old days of reading and reading only for days on end and enjoying it to bits. Winter is coming to an end and spring is upon us. I am looking forward to lazy days of just reading or better yet, taking a book out, laying down on a beach after a walk and reading. Yeah, I like the sound of that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hyena: Doglike, but like no dog anyone would want as a pet.

Life Intensely Lived.

Beauty Missed or not.