The Spirit of Being Liverpool




For the second time in my life, I went to watch a football match live at a big screen last night. Last time it was Liverpool vs. Manchester United. This time it was the same.

Last time it had been an adventure of sorts, this time was no different.

Last season, I literally had run away from home to watch the game. It was a Saturday and my Mom doesn't really like me watching football being a girl and all that, so I snuck out. I texted from the restaurant telling my family my whereabouts. My dad was amused. My mom, not very much when I got home at 9.

This time though, I didn’t have to sneak out. I called them and told them I'd be late since I was going for the match after work.

I have been a Liverpool fan from I-don't-really-remember-when. I am not a football fan in an actual sense. I cannot really tell an offside from onside or make judgments on this player's ability from his shortcomings. I-tho I am not writing this blog to make fun of my knowledge on football. I love Liverpool for so many reasons and lets save this topic for later days. It was my love of the club that sent me to the ruckus at the Woodland Complex in DurbarMarg yesterday evening.

And my, what a ruckus it was. There were very many Liverpool supporters in there. I really wasn't expecting much of support from our side but I was in for a surprise, and I absolutely loved the surprise. Guys in Red shirts were everywhere. If not red, they were sporting white or black shirts that said Himalayan Kopites. I was grinning ear to ear, flushing with pride. It was a pity I forgot to bring my own red shirt but that was fine. I didn't have to have a dress code to mix-in with the Liverpool spirit. I was not chanting along with them - my character just doesn't allow for it - but I was clapping along with the chants, giving them my 100% support. I have to be honest though; I was not prepared for the explosion of the Kopite enthusiasm and you would've caught me wide-eyed and perplexed at the first and second of the Anfield-ish recitations. I got used to it from the third though. I loved the way they chanted the players' names, Liverpool's name and boo'ed to the rivals. I didn't get the best view and I was the only girl around, but that didn't really matter. I was getting quite giddy with amazement. It's a pity I had to leave at the half time because of my headache and the noise wasn't really helping it.

Out of the buzz into the night, we went to a quiet place nearby where they were screening the game on a smaller TV. There were few people which made me think of how it'd be had I been home. The first goal from Steven Gerrard sent me jumping with happiness and wishing I was there with my #LFCFamily (like how we say in twitter) to celebrate the goal. Sadly, the excitement and the hope for the first victory in the season hadn't even sunk in that the equalizer came. My friends and the rest of the restaurant started dancing around leaving me seething with disappointment. Then came the penalty and the loss. And I was glad I wasn't at the Woodland Complex. There were some United fans in front of me. I would've hated to see them rub it in to me and to the big mass of us.

"But it's only a game" is such a cliché if you ask me. I know the whole season is still ahead of us. I wish we would catch up. I know it's a lot of work. Something has gone wrong somewhere in the past and we are recovering. I saw that the boys were playing very good last night, the passing was really nice but I was crossing my fingers the whole time (not that it worked). Unless there's a 3 point for us it's nothing. All that hard work leading to 0 points and a slip in the league table. But as a loyal Red-supporter, I will always be singing YNWA till the glory days are back to us again.

One day I will visit my home-my Anfield.  Till that day arrives, I will also be going to these game-screenings. The support is viral it seems.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hyena: Doglike, but like no dog anyone would want as a pet.

Life Intensely Lived.

Beauty Missed or not.